Joe Davidson is an engineer and the Founder and Lead Engineer at Electric Life Engineering. He specializes in product development including inventing, designing and prototyping. Joe spent many years formally as an engineer at Motor Excellence where he helped in the creation of a new type of electric motor. He is has a broad knowledgeable in electrical and mechanical systems.
Joe holds a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering from Northern Arizona University. He is active in the engineering community, and education and training of the next generation of engineers and manufactures. Founding Local Works community workshop in 2013, he is engaged in creating a culture of creation.
Personal Life Goals
Overview of Skills
- Electronic Designs and Prototyping, including circuit design, board layout, and embedded programming.
- 3D Design and Fabrication (Solidworks, SolidEdge, Lathe and Metal work, CNC, 3D printing)
- Working with supply / manufacturing houses in the United States, Taiwan and China
- Power Electronics, Motor and inverter design.
- Depth of knowledge in Electromechanical Systems
- Automation and motion controlled systems
- Diptrace, Cadsoft Eagle – Circuit Design and PCB Layout
- 3d Modeling – Solidworks
- Embedded C, Assembly
- C# .NET, VB .NET
- HTML, Joomla, WordPress website Designs
- Server setups include SSH, FTP, HTTP…
- Amazon EC2 Services
- Redmine project management system
- Adobe Products
- NAU IEEE (Vice President) 2006 – 2009
- NAU ACM 2007 – 2009
- NAU SAE 2007- 2009
- Search and Rescue 2007- Present
Awards / Certificates
- NAU’s IEEE Student of the year 2007
- EMT Certified 2005 – 2007
- Wilderness First Aid Certified 2011 – present
- Multitouch monitor systems
- Version Control
- Defcon – 2008 – 2013
- APEC – 2013
- MD&M (exhibitor)- 2010
- Tiapei Bike show (exhibitor) – 2012
- Munich Bike Show (exhibitor) – 2012
- EuroBike (exhibitor) – 2012
- Winterblast Pyrotechnics – 2011
- Magnetics – 2010
- EDrive – Motor, Drive and Automatation systems – 2010
- Motor & Drive Systems 2012
- Winner of NACET’s 2013 Business Plan Competition
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Wilderness First Aid
- Defcon 2013 – Scavenger Hunt 2nd place award
- Class though on Motor and Drive Design
- FerroFluid Pump
- 4096 LED Display
- Strain Gauge Amplifier
- Computer OpenMosic Cluster,
- Car Computer
- Multitouch monitor
- Frig temperature Sensor
- Multitouch monitor pen
- Motor Design, motor testing
- Brushed Motor Driver
- Bicycle Pedal Design
- Designer / Pilot for the AMAA 43rd Joint Propulsion UAV
- RC Plane Competition, SAE 2009-2011 Areo competitions.
Balina Bay and Puter: May 2000 – Nov 2000; Flagstaff, AZ
They created custom mid-evil mugs and glasses and peuter figurines for renasonce festivales all over the US.
- Light manufacturing help, shipping and handling, and inventory.
Starlite Lanes Bowling Alley -Jun 2001 – Jan 2006 Flagstaff, AZ
- Front Desk clerk, Machine Mechanic
Machine Solutions Inc: April 2004 – Jan 2005 Flagstaff, AZ
Specializing in stent manufacturing equipment.
- Manufacturing help with machines and equipment
- Machinist help
- Packaging / Inventory of machines and stock
Northern Arizona Tool & Manufacturing: January 2005 – October 2006 Flagstaff, AZ
A machine shop that ran many computer controlled machines.
- Programmed G Code / Conversational Code
Blockwise Engineering LLC: May 2008 – September 2008 (5 months)Tempe, Arizona
Biomedical engineering company that produces equipment necessary in the manufacturing of
Catheters, Stents, and other implantable medical devices.
• Working with machine motion PLC programming and interfacing sensors
• Programmed / Tested Marker Band Positioner and Precrimper Machine
• Assembled Biomedical Manufacturing Machinery
NAU ITS: January 2007 – January 2009
• Coordination of Windows OS Lab Images
• Testing / Documentation of new software
• Helped with server room updates
Motor Excellence: January 2009 – July 2012, Flagstaff Arizona
Startup company in Flagstaff, focusing on a commercializing TFM style electric motors.
• Power electronic and motor testing and analysis, including: harmonic analysis, full efficiency mapping, endurance, vibration testing, and test equipment design.
• Represented Motor Excellence in European and Asian trade shows and
• Graphical User Interfaces with C#, and Labview.
• PCB board designs for motor sensing.
• Worked with various PCB manufactures for both manufacturing and
• Knowledge and design of Electromechanical systems, emphasized in motor and controller design
• Diagnosis and troubleshooting of TFM motor technology and custom and off the shelf motor drives and controls.
NAU Engineeirng: Jan 2013 – May 2013 – Flagstaff, Arizona
- Power Electronics Lab TA
Local Works: June 2013 – Flagstaff, Arizona
- Flagstaff’s first community workshop
ElectricLife Engineering: Jan: 2012 – Flagstaff, Arizona
Founder and Principal Engineer
- Focusing on bringing products to market, including product development and consulting.